The Alaska Fire Service Barracks provides 200 residential style rooms to accommodate our seasonal workforce, training instructors and students, as well as other agency guests in support of resource and fire management programs. The Barracks facilities include large training rooms, television or community rooms, laundry facilities, and picnic areas. Guests can also use the AFS Dining Hall which provides brunches, lunches and dinners, depending on the time of year. The Barracks currently accepts cash and credit cards for payment.
Amenities provided include:
- Full set of towels
- Full Set of bed linens
- Vending Machines
- Internet Cafe
Photos of the Training rooms, community rooms, laundry rooms, and picnic areas.
Location Because the AFS Barracks are located on U.S. Army installation, Fort Wainwright. Fort Wainwright is a controlled access facility with standardized entry control procedures, military installation rules and regulations. The following are a few rules our guests should be aware of:
- An entry pass must be obtained at the visitor center.
- Privately Owned Firearms must be registered at the Visitors Center, the Fort Wainwright Police Station, and must be stored unloaded in a secure location.
- Authority granted by the State of Alaska to carry a concealed firearm is not valid on Fort Wainwright.
- Cell phone use while operating a vehicle is not allowed, unless the driver is using a hands-free device.
- From the Main Gate at Fort Wainwright (Intersection of The Steese Highway and Airport Way)
- Head southeast on Airport Way/
Gaffney Rd toward AK-2 W/ Richardson Hwy
- Continue to follow Gaffney Rd (this is a partial restricted usage road)
- Destination will be on the left